Jan's Working with Presentations:
Problem: Full Disk
If you keep your saved documents on
a removable disk and don't delete any as you go through the lessons, the
disk may get full at some point. When you
try to save your work, you'll
get an error message telling you that there is not enough room. If you
just switch to a new disk, one of two things will
happen. One is good; one is disastrous!
Solutions to a Full Disk
Easy Solution: (Well, it's easy
when it works!)
- Close the error message. (Important!)
- Save the file to the hard disk somewhere. (Remember
Replace the full removable disk with a fresh one that has
more free space.
Move the saved file to the removable disk.
Know your system. Test it!
Your computer may lock
up during the test below. You will have to reboot if it does. Better that this
happen during a test instead of when you have an important document that
you cannot save!
- Close all open programs on your computer.
- Open a file from a removable disk. The disk does not have to be full.
- Replace the removable disk with a new one with plenty of
free space on it.
- Use Save As to try to save your file to the new
- If you get the Blue Screen message, follow the
directions to Close. Reboot if the computer locks up. Remember in the
future to save
to the hard disk if your removable runs out of room. Never, never switch
removable while a file is open on this computer.
Last updated: March 27, 2017