Exercise Excel 5-4:
Computer Today - Share data
|What you will do:
|insert Excel charts into a Word document
from the resource files
You will finish up an article for the next issue of Computers Today about the Internet speed research using the ping data. The article needs to have some Excel charts added. Once the article is printed you will not be able to tell if your charts were embedded, linked, or just pictures of the originals. However, to be sure the article uses the most recent data, the charts should be
- From the resource files , open
Pinging_the_Net.doc in Word and open
in Excel. (Click on the links to download each file
If you look for Pinging the Net.doc in an Excel
Open dialog, you won't see it since it's not an xls file.
You will see a message asking if you want to update the linked data. Choose
No. You do not have the source document.
- Read the Word document and decide where the 4 charts should go.
- Linked object: Switch to Excel and copy the chart USA Today Daily Averages. Return to Word and use Paste Special to Paste link the chart in the spot you
- Resize object: Right click on the chart and choose Format Object. Select the Size tab. Resize the chart to
50%. Drag it into position, if necessary. You may have considerable trouble positioning your little charts. If the chart snaps back when you drag, try to cut
it from Word and paste it into position. That can erase the stubborn position setting.
[The small chart will be much easier to read in print than it is on your
- Linked object 2: Return to Excel and copy the
second chart - Etrade Daily Averages. Repeat the steps above for this
- Linked objects 3 & 4: Continue with the same
steps for the last two charts - USA Today Hourly Averages and Etrade Hourly
- Prepare to print: Create a header containing your name and the date on the left, the filename in the center, and Exercise Excel
the right. Spell check. Print Preview.
- Save your changed
the Net.doc to the Class disk in the excel project5 folder, using the same name.
- Print. [Results will vary depending on
exactly how you placed